|Body Style||5-Door Wagon|
|Transmission|| 7-speed electronic Automatic w/ Manual shift mode, Adaptive Shift Control (ASC) and Downshift Rev Matching|
rear-wheel drive (FX35 RWD) or ATTESA E-TS™ all-wheel drive (FX50 AWD, FX35 AWD)
|Engine|| 5.0 litre VK50VE VVEL DOHC V8, 32 valve|
3.5 litre VQ35HR DOHC V6
|Power|| 390 hp @ N/A rpm|
369 lb-ft (500 Nm) of torque @ N/A rpm
303 hp @ N/A rpm
262 lb-ft of torque @ N/A rpm
|Similar|| Lexus RX|
With the FX45 crossover, Infiniti sought to combine sports-car performance with SUV functionality. The FX45's 4.5L V8 generates 315-hp (235kW) and is coupled with a five-speed automatic transmission that incorporates a manual-shift mode. ATTESA-ETS All wheel drive is standard, and the FX45 has a sport-tuned four-wheel independent suspension. The FX35 uses a 3.5L V6.
See Autopedia's comprehensive Infiniti FX Review.
- The FX series was updated for 2006 with a new look, some new options, and additions to its standard features. The wheels, grille, and front bumper have all been redesigned. The FX35 now has leather seats, a power tilt/telescope steering wheel and a rear view camera with a color screen standard. The FX45's V8 engine was also upgraded to 320-hp (239kW) and it gets a standard sunroof, Bluetooth system, rear view camera with a color screen, and aluminum roof rails, all of which are available through various premium packages that are optional for the FX35.
- For the 2009 model year, the FX is refreshed into its second model generation. Featuring two V8 engine variants, the FX50 and the FX45 is powered by a 390 hp 5.0 litre and 320 hp 4.5 litre powerplant, respectively. 
Styles and Major OptionsEdit
There are 2 styles available for the FX: the FX35 and FX45. While most options are available to both, there are several standard features on the FX45 which are optional on the FX35. These include 20-in. aluminum alloy wheels, sport-tuned suspension, sunroof, Bluetooth technology, Intelligent Key, and aluminum roof rails, among others. In addition, FX35 and FX45 are equipped with two different engines, and while the FX35 is available in either all wheel drive (AWD) or rear wheel drive (RWD), the FX45 is only available in AWD. Some of the distinguishing specifications are as follows:
- 280-hp 3.5 L VQ35DE V6
- 0-60 mph: 7.1 seconds
- 0-100 mph: NA
- 1/4 mile: 15.5 seconds at 91.0 mph
- 300ft Skidpad: .89g
- Top Speed: 137mph
- 320-hp 4.5 L VK45DE V8
- 0-60 mph: 6.3 seconds
- 0-100 mph: 17.6 seconds
- 1/4 mile: 14.8 seconds at 95.1 mph
- 300ft Skidpad: .89g
- Top Speed: 137mph
As seen on the FuelEconomy.gov website, the City/Highway MPG averages are as follows:
In 2005, the Infiniti FX series received J.D. Power Initial Ratings of 2/5 for Mechanical Quality, 5/5 for Feature & Accessory Quality, and 5/5 for Body & Interior Quality. Prior to that, in 2004, the FX series Initial Ratings differed only in that it received a 3/5 for Mechanical Quality.
Infiniti's FX line comes with a number of safety features which are standard across all models. These include features designed not only to lower the probability of an accident, but also to reduce the amount of injury sustained if an accident should occur:
- Available Intelligent Brake Assist (IBA) with Forward Collision Warning
- Available Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) system
- Available Distance Control Assist (DCA)
- Infiniti Advanced Air Bag System (AABS)
- Dual-stage front supplemental air bags with passenger seat occupant classification system and *seat belt sensor
- Seat-mounted side-impact air bags and roof-mounted curtain air bags for enhanced outboard seat occupant head protection
- 3-point front seat belts with pre-tensioners and load limiters; ALR/ELR in all passenger seating positions (driver ELR only)
- Available Pre-Crash Seat Belts
- Seat belt reminder system (front)
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) system in rear outboard seating positions, (upper tether for all rear seating positions)
- Front-seat Active Head Restraints
- Child safety rear door locks and power window lock-out button
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Zone Body Construction with front and rear crumple zones
- First aid kit and tool kit
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Infiniti Vehicle Immobilizer System and Vehicle Security System
- Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS), cancel switch
- Liquid Platinum
- Ivory Pearl
- Autumn Copper
- Sheer Platinum
- Serengeti Sand
- Black Obsidian
- Diamond Graphite
- Malbec Black
- Graphite Leather/Aluminum
- Graphite Leather/Etched Aluminum
- Graphite Leather/Rosewood & Aluminum
- Wheat Leather/Aluminum
- Wheat Leather/Etched Aluminum
- Wheat Leather/Rosewood & Aluminum
- Espresso Leather/Rosewood & Aluminum
The engine is tuned similarly to the G35, and produces a delightful 'growl'. Acceleration and road manners are excellent for a crossover type vehicle.
According to CarsDirect.com, the 2006 FX will have an excellent resale value.
In addition, Kelley Blue Book estimates that after 24 months the FX35 should retain 58% of its retail value, while the FX45 should retain 62%. After 48 months, those figures drop to 45% and 49%.
- "This also means, of course, that for serious off-roading the FX45 is not worth a cheetah's furball. Or we assume it's not, since Infiniti didn't let us take it off-road during our day's drive." — AutoWeek
- "Some of the FX's more attractive options, such as navigation, are grouped into pricey packages and cannot be ordered separately." - Kelley Blue Book
The vehicle is wide, and a magnet for door dings. Many users report short tread life with the stock Goodyear RSA tires.
The cargo capacity is much smaller than in the Murano, though similar in size of the BMW X5.
Rear visibility for the driver is an issue. If the rear seats are in the full upright position, most of the view from the rearview mirror out the back is blocked by the three headrests. The rear seats can be tilted back to improve visibility if not in use.
Current Generation (2002-present)Edit
After debuting the concept in 2001, Infiniti completely redesigned the FX45 Concept car and once again unveiled the second generation model at the 2002 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. This model, however, would go into production and become the first FX45 marketed to the public. In addition, a V6 model (the FX35) was produced and sold alongside the V8 FX45.
First Generation/Origins (2001)Edit
Infiniti first unveiled the FX45 as a concept car at the 2001 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michigan. The goal was to create a vehicle that combined the practicality of an SUV with the performance of a sports car, and at a time when the luxury SUV market was only blossoming, the FX45 Concept was meant to compete more with luxury cars like the BMW 7 Series, Lexus GS 430, and even Infiniti's own Q45.
Nissan, Infiniti's parent company, offers no parallel models to the FX series in Japan. The FX series is offered exclusively through Infiniti, which operates in the US, Canada, Taiwan, the Middle East, and South Korea.
|image (between 170-190 pixels)|
|Nissan||Corporate website||A subsidiary of The Renault Group|
- MyG37S a forum dedicated to Infiniti's
- OurVQ - The Premiere Nissan and Infiniti Forum Community
- FX Bulletins and Recalls Information
- Official American site
- Official Canadian site
- Infiniti FX Owners Forum
- 2009 Infiniti FX50 with 390 Hp V8 Unveiled in Geneva
- Infiniti announces the FX35... still not the FX37
- Infiniti Launches European Pre-Order Site
- How the Other Half Drives: Infiniti launches FX Limited Edition in Europe
|This page uses some content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Infiniti FX. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Autopedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|