It is the producer of the famous Ambassador car, widely used as a taxicab and as a government limousine. One of the original three car manufacturers in India, founded in 1942, it was a leader in car sales until the 1980s, when the industry was opened up from protection.
Models manufactured by Hindustan Motors are :
- Hindustan Ambassador - The Ambassador design is based on the British 1948 Morris Oxford.
- Hindustan Contessa - based on the British Vauxhall Victor, which ceased production in 1978, but with an Isuzu engine.
- Lancer - in collaboration with Mitsubishi.
- Pajero - an SUV in collaboration with Mitsubishi.
- Pushpak, Trekker and Porter - Multiutility Vehicles.
- MASCOT T-480 FC - commercial truck.
- RTV - trucks made in collaboration with OKA Motor Company, Australia. This truck can adapted for school bus, ambulance, etc.
- Uttarpara, West Bengal (near Kolkata)
- Pithampur, Madhya Pradesh (near Indore)
- Thiruvallur, Tamil Nadu (near Chennai)
- Hosur, Tamil Nadu (near Bangalore)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Hindustan vehicles|