|Ferrari 458 Italia|
|Production||2010 - present|
|Body Style|| 2-door, 2-seat Mid-Engined Coupe|
2-door, 2-seat Mid-Engined Spider
|Length||178.2 in (4527 mm)|
|Width||76.3 in (1937 mm)|
|Height||47.8 in (1213 mm)|
|Wheelbase||104.3 in (2650 mm)|
|Weight||3042 lbs (1380 kg)|
|Transmission||7-speed dual-clutch, RWD|
|Engine||4.5 litre (4499 cc) direct-injected V8|
|Power|| 562 hp @ 9000 rpm|
398 lb-ft of torque @ 6000 rpm
|Similar|| Lamborghini Gallardo|
|Designer|| Flavio Manzoni, Ferrari design director|
Lowie Vermeersch, Pininfarina design director
See Autopedia's comprehensive Ferrari 458 Italia Review.
- Ferrari unveiled the new Ferrari 458 Spider at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show. The 458 Spider features an aluminium hard-top retractable roof which weighs 25 kilograms (55 lb) and can be retracted in 14 seconds.
- A few months after the launch of the road-spec 458 Italia, Ferrari announced the track-focused 458 Challenge. Taking over where the F430 Scuderia left off, the new car retains the same engine and power output as the standard car but changes the gear ratios and recalibrates the dual-clutch F1 gearbox to improve torque at lower revs. Handling has also been tweaked with a modified suspension set-up with solid aluminium bushings, stiffer springs, single-rate dampers and a ride height lowered by 30mm all round. It rides on new centre-nut 19-inch racing wheels shod in beefier Pirelli slicks. Further upgrades come in the form of Brembo CCM2 brakes and significan weight reduction. As of this writing, no figures have yet been released, but the 458's body panels have been reduced in thickness and are made lightweight materials, such as carbon-fibre and Lexan. According to Ferrari, these changes slash the car's lap time around Fiorano track by two seconds, resulting in a new lap record of just 1'16.5", while generating lateral forces of up to 1.6G.  UPDATE: The 458 Challenge held its world premiere at the 2010 Bologna Motor Show.
Styles and Major OptionsEdit
There are two known styles of this car. The first is a Street Legal Edition of the car. There is also a Racing Edition version for Pro Sports Car Drivers
Engine and TransmissionEdit
The 458 Italia is powered by a 4,499 cc (4.499 L; 274.5 cu in) V8 engine derived from a shared Ferrari/Maserati design, producing 570 PS (420 kW; 560 hp) at 9,000 rpm (redline) and 540 N·m (400 lb·ft) at 6,000 rpm with 80% torque available at 3,250 rpm. The engine features direct fuel injection, which is a first for Ferrari mid-rear engine setups in its road cars.
The standard transmission is a Getrag dual-clutch 7-speed transmission, similar to the Ferrari California. There is no traditional manual option, making this the second road-car after the Enzo not to be offered with Ferrari's classic gated manual.
The 458 is powered by a direct-injected 4.5 litre aluminium V8, pumping out 562 horsepower and 398 lb-ft of torque. The redline is pegged at a lofty 9,000 rpm. Eighty percent of the Italia's torque is available at 3,250 rpm, thanks the new engine's 12.5:1 compression ratio. It will accelerate from 0-60 (mph) in under 3.5 seconds with a top speed of 202 mph.
The car's suspension will feature double wishbones at the front and a multi-link set-up at the rear, coupled with E-Diff and F1-Trac traction control systems, designed to improve the car's cornering and longitudinal acceleration by 32% compared to its predecessors.
The brakes include a prefill function whereby the pistons in the calipers move the pads into contact with the discs on lift off to minimise delay in the brakes being applied. This combined with the ABS has reduced 100–0 km/h (62-0 mph) braking distance to 32.5 metres (107 ft).
The adaptive magnetorheological dampers were co-developed with Delphi.
The 458 Italia will use Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires.
RECALL ALERT: Ferrari has issued a recall affecting all 1,148 458 Italias built since launch up to July 30, 2010 over a fire risk caused by an adhesive used to attach a heat shield under the rear fender which can ignite under high temperatures, leading to a larger fire in the engine bay. This problem has already immolated 5 such 458s (out of 11 incidents) and has prompted Ferrari to design a new heat shield that attaches with rivets, negating the need for the adhesive. 458 owners are urged to call a dealer to schedule an appointment for the free fix as soon as possible. 
This section should reference points on safety ratings and features of the vehicle.
Add Photos of the vehicle here.
Please make sure not to use copyrighted photos.
- Yellow / Blue Race Edition
The body was designed by Pininfarina, as with all recent Ferrari models. The car’s exterior styling and features were designed for aerodynamic efficiency, producing a downforce of 140 kg at 124 miles per hour (200 km/h). In particular, the front grille features deformable winglets that lower at high speeds, in order to offer reduced drag. The car's interior was designed using input from former Ferrari Formula 1 driver Michael Schumacher, including a new steering wheel design which incorporates many features and controls as opposed to them being on the dashboard, similar to racing car designs.
According to British car magazine AutoCar, the 458 Italia's design has drawn inspiration from the Enzo Ferrari and its Mille Chili concept car. It has been designed to be Ferrari's sportiest V8-engined car, to distinguish itself from the recently launched Ferrari California.
This section should include information on the interior's design, build quality, ergonomics, space (head and legroom, front and rear), features, stowage compartments and overall comfortability and livability. Add pictures wherever applicable and keep information in a third-person point of view.
Fill in as many as appropriate. Add more if necessary and pictures wherever applicable.
Please make sure NOT to use copyrighted pictures.
First Generation/Origins: (2010–present)Edit
If the vehicle is sold in other markets worldwide, then this is the section to mention that information. Also, mention if the <MODEL> goes by another name in these other markets.
- In the 2011 film Transformers: Dark of the Moon, an Autobot spy called Dino transforms into a red Ferrari 458 Italia and speaks in an Italian accent.
Design quirks and odditiesEdit
Refer to any pop-culture tidbits about the vehicle in this section.
- "Performance Car of the Year" by Auto Express
- ↑ "2010 Ferrari 458 Italia Preview". JB car pages. http://www.jbcarpages.com/ferrari/458italia/2010/.
- ↑ "Ferrari Unveils 458 Italia at Frankfurt Motor Show". Automoblog.net. http://www.automoblog.net/2009/09/15/ferrari-unveils-458-italia/.
- ↑ "2010 Ferrari 458 Italia Specs". JB car pages. http://www.jbcarpages.com/ferrari/458italia/2010/specs/.
- ↑ "Ferrari 458 Italia". Inautonews. http://www.inautonews.com/ferrari-458-italia. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- ↑ "Bridgestone to supply Potenza S001 tires for the Ferrari 458 Italia". egmCarTech. 2010-01-07. http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/01/07/bridgestone-to-supply-potenza-s001-tires-for-the-ferrari-458-italia/. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ↑ "Ferrari's new 458 Italia revealed!". Auto Express.co.uk. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/239182/ferraris_new_458_italia_revealed.html.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "Ferrari 458 Italia revealed". Autocar.co.uk. http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Ferrari-Concepts/241891/.
News and References
- Ferrari 458 Italia: 562 HP Of F430-Replacing Italian Muscle
- Officially Official: Ferrari 458 Italia announced!
- Ferrari 458 Italia: First Official Photos and Details on F430's Replacement
- Ferrari Shows Us The 458 Italia's Interior, Sweetly Sonorous Engine Note
- Ferrari 458 Italia: Maranello releases more details, pics and video footage
- Ferrari prices the 458 Italia for the UK from £169,545
- First Ferrari 458 Italia auctioned off to benefit Haiti
- Ferrari 458 Italia makes North American public debut in...Tooele, UT
- Ferrari Debuts 458 Challenge Track Racer
- Officially Official: Ferrari 458 Challenge races in
- Ferrari 458 Challenge Testing Continues
- World Premiere for Ferrari's New 458 Challenge at Bologna Motor Show
- Video: New Ferrari 458 Challenge at the Valencia Circuit
- Ferrari 458 Italia Hits The Road, Reveals Interior
- First Look: Ferrari 458 Italia
- Forza Italia! Ferrari 458 Italia vs. Ducati 1198 S
Enthusiast Sites and Discussion Forums