|Race 3 of 19 in the 2014 Formula One season|
Layout of the Bahrain International Circuit
|Date||6 April 2014|
|Official name||2014 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix|
|Location|| Bahrain International Circuit|
|Course|| Permanent racing facility |
5.412 km (3.363 mi)</td></tr>
|Distance||57 laps, 308.238 km (191.530 mi)</td></tr>|
|Time||1:37.020 on lap 49|
|Third||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes|
The 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix, formally known as the 2014 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix, was a Formula One motor race held on 6 April 2014 at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, Bahrain. The race, which was contested over 57 laps, was the third round of the 2014 season, and marked the tenth time that the Bahrain Grand Prix had been held as a round for the Formula One World Championship and the 900th World Championship event. The race was held as a night event, starting at 6:00pm local time under lights, similar to the Singapore Grand Prix. The decision to hold the race under lights was taken as a means of marking the tenth anniversary of the event.
Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes won the race after starting 2nd and overtaking teammate Nico Rosberg at the start. Rosberg finished second, with Force India's Sergio Pérez finishing third, scoring Force India's second ever podium, and first podium since Giancarlo Fisichella at the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix. The race was notable for the race-long battle between Hamilton and Rosberg and a collision on lap 41 between the Lotus of Pastor Maldonado and the Sauber of Esteban Gutiérrez. Gutierrez was flipped over in a side impact caused by Maldonado. The Venezuelan will serve a 5 place grid penalty at the Chinese Grand Prix for causing the crash.
Tyre supplier Pirelli brought its white-banded medium compound tyre as the harder "prime" tyre and the yellow-banded soft compound tyre as the softer "option" tyre, as opposed to the previous year where hard and medium selections were provided.
|3||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull-Renault||1:36.220||1:34.592||1:34.051||131|
|5||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:34.998||1:34.747||1:34.346||4|
|11||1||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1:35.549||1:34.985||10|
|12||27||Nico Hülkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||1:34.874||1:35.116||11|
|13||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso-Renault||1:35.395||1:35.145||12|
|14||25||Jean-Éric Vergne||Toro Rosso-Renault||1:35.815||1:35.286||14|
|107% time: 1:41.515|
- 1 — Daniel Ricciardo was given a ten-place grid penalty for an unsafe pit release during the 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix.
- 2 — Adrian Sutil was given a five-place grid penalty for impeding Romain Grosjean during qualifying.
Standings after the raceEdit
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
In January 2014 an alliance of Bahraini human rights organisations including the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights and the Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights wrote to FIA President Jean Todt, requesting that the Bahrain Grand Prix be suspended until the FIA's Ethics Committee could investigate the impact the race has had on human rights in Bahrain. According to the BCHR no response was received from the FIA. Reports from the race meeting indicated that thousands of people attended a rally protesting against the Grand Prix and the government, held on the Friday before the race itself outside the Bahraini capital Manama. Clashes between protesters and police took place following the demonstration.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "2014 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/bahrain_916/circuit_diagram.html. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- ↑ Esler, William (4 October 2013). "The 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix will be staged under floodlights". Sky Sports F1 (BSkyB). http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/8955775/. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- ↑ "Bahrain switches to night race for 2014". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 21 January 2014. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/1/15396.html.
- ↑ "Pirelli reveal tyre choices for first four races". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 3 March 2014. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/3/15524.html. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "Daniel Ricciardo gets Bahrain grid penalty". Autosport (Haymarket Publications). 30 March 2014. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113189. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- ↑ Noble, Jonathan; Elizalde, Pablo (5 April 2014). "Adrian Sutil punished by FIA for Romain Grosjean clash". Autosport (Haymarket Publications). http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113304. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- ↑ "2014 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix Results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 6 April 2014. http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2014/916/7329/. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- ↑ Press Release: Joint Letter to FIA Calling for Suspension of 2014 Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix (Press release). Bahrain Centre for Human Rights. 2 March 2014. http://www.bahrainrights.org/en/node/6786. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- ↑ "Thousands Rally in Bahrain Ahead of Auto Race". 4 April 2014. http://racing.ap.org/article/thousands-rally-bahrain-ahead-auto-race. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: [[Commons:Category: Category:2014 Bahrain Grand Prix|| 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix
2014 Malaysian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship|
2014 Chinese Grand Prix
2013 Bahrain Grand Prix
|Bahrain Grand Prix||Next race:|
2015 Bahrain Grand Prix
|This page uses some content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Autopedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|