|Race 8 of 19 in the 2014 Formula One season|
Layout of the Red Bull Ring
|Date||22 June 2014|
|Official name||Formula 1 Grosser Preis Von Österreich 2014|
|Location|| Red Bull Ring|
Spielberg, Styria, Austria
|Course|| Permanent racing facility |
4.326 km (2.684 mi)</td></tr>
|Distance||71 laps, 307.146 km (190.564 mi)</td></tr>|
|Driver||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes|
|Time||1:12.142 on lap 59|
The 2014 Austrian Grand Prix (formally known as the Formula 1 Grosser Preis Von Österreich 2014) was a Formula One motor race that took place on 22 June 2014 at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, Austria. The race was the eighth round of the 2014 season, and marks the 28th running of the Austrian Grand Prix and the first to be held since 2003. It was won by Nico Rosberg for Mercedes from third on the grid.
Nico Rosberg was the fastest in FP1 with a lap time of 1:11.295. Teammate Lewis Hamilton was the fastest in FP2 with a lap time of 1:09.542. Valtteri Bottas was the fastest in FP3 with a lap time of 1:09.848.
Felipe Massa became the first driver other than Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg to win a pole this season with a Q3 lap time of 1:08.759. He was joined on the front row by teammate Valtteri Bottas. This is the first time Williams has locked out the front row since Juan Pablo Montoya and Ralf Schumacher did it in the 2003 German Grand Prix at the Hockenheimring.
At the start, Massa led the field into the first corner, with Rosberg passing Bottas, but being repassed the following straight. Lewis Hamilton had the best start, moving from 9th to 5th and taking another spot from Alonso soon after.
Sebastian Vettel once again suffered from technical problems, losing drive on lap 2. He was able to continue but a lap down and after damaging his front wing, he later retired midway through Red Bull's home grand prix.
At the front, the tyre changes cleared the way for Mercedes, with Rosberg passing both Williams at the first stop and Hamilton taking second during the second round. Sergio Pérez once again drove a good race with a different tyre strategy, taking the super soft compound only for the last laps and successfully challenged Magnussen for 6th place. Meanwhile, Alonso had reached fourth-placed Massa, but with the superior straight line speed of the Mercedes engine, there was no way to pass.
|5||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull-Renault||1:10.395||1:09.638||1:09.466||5|
|7||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso-Renault||1:09.678||1:09.490||1:09.619||7|
|9||44||Lewis Hamilton||Mercedes||1:09.514||1.09.092||No time||9|
|10||27||Nico Hülkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||1:10.389||1:09.624||No time||10|
|11||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:10.124||1:09.754||15 1|
|13||1||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1:10.630||1:09.801||12|
|15||25||Jean-Éric Vergne||Toro Rosso-Renault||1:10.161||1:10.073||14|
|16||8||Romain Grosjean||Lotus-Renault||1:10.461||1:10.642||PL 2|
|21||4||Max Chilton||Marussia-Ferrari||1:11.775||21 3|
|107% time: 1:14.379|
- 1 — Sergio Pérez was given a five-place grid penalty for changing his racing line and causing an avoidable collision in the Canadian Grand Prix.
- 2 — Romain Grosjean qualified 16th, but started from pit lane after gearbox and set-up changes.
- 3 — Max Chilton was given a three-place grid penalty for causing an avoidable collision with Jules Bianchi at the Canadian Grand Prix.
Standings after the raceEdit
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Formula 1 Grosser Preis von Österreich 2014". Formula One World Championship Limited. May 22, 2014. http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/austria_923/circuit_diagram.html. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- ↑ "Nico Rosberg wins Austrian Grand Prix as Lewis Hamilton battles to second spot and Sebastian Vettel is forced to retire". Daily Mail. 22 June 2014. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2665031/Nico-Rosberg-wins-Austrian-Grand-Prix-Lewis-Hamilton-battles-second-spot-Sebastian-Vettel-forced-retire.html. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Qualifying Results". Formula One World Championship Limited. 21 June 2014. http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2014/923/7358/. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- ↑ Smith, Luke (20 June 2014). "Rosberg first to tame the Red Bull Ring in Austria practice". NBC Sports. http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/20/rosberg-first-to-tame-the-red-bull-ring-in-austria-practice/related/. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- ↑ Smith, Luke (20 June 2014). "Hamilton hits back to edge out Rosberg in FP2". NBC Sports. http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/20/hamilton-hits-back-to-edge-out-rosberg-in-fp2/related/. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- ↑ Smith, Luke (20 June 2014). "Bottas beats the field in final Austrian GP practice". NBC Sports. http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/21/bottas-beats-the-field-in-final-austrian-gp-practice/related/. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- ↑ Smith, Luke (21 June 2014). "Massa secures shock pole in Austria at Mercedes' expense". NBC Sports. http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/21/massa-secures-shock-pole-in-austria-at-mercedes-expense/. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- ↑ "Mercedes schlägt auf dem Red Bull Ring zurück" (in German). kicker.de. 22 June 2014. http://www.kicker.de/news/formel1/f1termine/2014/985/3/606705/rennbericht_gp-von-oesterreich-2014-985.html. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- ↑ Collantine, Keith (8 June 2014). "Perez penalised for last-lap crash with Massa as both released from hospital". F1 Fanatic. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/06/08/perez-penalised-last-lap-crash-massa-released-hospital/. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 "Formula 1 Grosser Preis Von Österreich 2014". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. 22 June 2014. http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2014/923/7359/. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- ↑ "Perez, Chilton penalised for Montreal collisions". Formula One World Championship Limited. 10 June 2014. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/6/15935.html. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- ↑ "Austrian Grand Prix Live". Yahoo. 22 June 2014. https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/formula-1/gp-austria/2014/race.html. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: [[Commons:Category: Category:2014 Austrian Grand Prix|| 2014 Austrian Grand Prix
2014 Canadian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship|
2014 British Grand Prix
2003 Austrian Grand Prix
|Austrian Grand Prix||Next race:|
2015 Austrian Grand Prix
|This page uses some content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 2014 Austrian Grand Prix. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Autopedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|